New Orleans 2016

November 2016

October 31


I picked up Frank at 3:45 am and we headed to the airport. Our check-in went real smooth and our flight left at 8 am to Dallas. At Dallas, I got a notice that our flight was delayed an hour or so but they got another plane and we got to New Orleans on time, landing there around 1:30 pm CT. We took our first Uber ride to our downtown hotel, about 25 minutes. It worked just fine. After we checked in, we walked up along the Mississippi River and then took a streetcar back. It was warm but pleasantly so.

November 1


After breakfast, we picked up a rental car from Hertz beside the hotel. We drove for about a half an hour south of the city to the Jean Lafitte reserve where we took an hour and a half swamp tour. We saw gators, turtles, and a couple of wild boars. On the boat were 4 people from Australia who talked quite a bit telling me some interesting things about their country. Next, we drove up along the Great River Road on the west bank to the plantation area. We toured a Creole Plantation named Laura's Plantation. It was very interesting. I learned a lot of history in a short period of time and Camille, our tour guide, was fantastic, very interesting. 

November 2


We took a Mississippi River ride on the Creole Queen. It went downstream for about a half an hour and then stopped at the Chalmette Battlefield where Andrew Jackson and company won the Battle of New Orleans in 1815 (War of 1812). On the way back up the river we received a very interesting historical account of the devastation of Hurricane Katrina and how many, many things went wrong. In the afternoon, we did a self-guided walk through the Garden District, seeing many huge homes. We saw homes that are currently occupied by Sandra Bullock, John Goodman, and Archie Manning. We saw a very old cemetery (Lafayette). Most are buried above ground because you hit water if you dig down. 

November 3


We walked down the street to the World War II museum. It was a fantastic museum. We saw a 45 minute movie giving an overview of the war. Tom Hanks narrated it. In the afternoon we toured the French Quarter, including a few minutes on Bourbon Street. We walked over to Frenchmen Street in the early evening and listen to some Jazz before getting an Uber to take us back to our room

November 4


We got up and packed in the morning. It was a very good week. I really enjoyed it. The last three nights we stayed in a very, very nice place called the Wyndham La Belle Maison. The room was very large, a big bedroom, a large living room with a kitchen (dishwasher, refrigerator, and microwave). Laura Walters gave Frank and I three nights at this timeshare and we are very grateful. Not only was it nice, but it was centrally located. An Uber took us back to the airport at 10am and we flew to St. Louis. After a 50 minutes stop, we went on to Pittsburgh and were home by 9:30 pm.