Ohio River & Chicago

Chicago from on top of the Sears Tower (now called Willis Tower)


May 2016

May 8


I picked up Frank at 7:45 am and we drove to Cranberry Township where we met up with Rick, Laura, and Chaz for worship service. We heard a very good sermon on why everyone should read at least a little from the Bible each day. Next, we left and went over to Beaver where we picked up the Ohio River and began our journey to Cincinnati. We toured Steubenville for a little while to get some photos of their murals. We got to the Golden Corral in Parkersburg at 6 pm where we met a rather large Mothers' Day crowd. After we ate, we traveled just a couple of blocks to our room for the first of six nights.

May 9


Frank and I left the hotel in Parkersburg and went to a local park that looks down on the town and the river. I took some pictures there and then we continued our drive along the Ohio River heading towards Cincinnati. We saw very little civilization. Shortly before we arrived at Huntington, WV, where we would spend the night, we pulled off for a hotdog at Hillbilly Hotdogs. You would not believe this place unless you were there. I had heard about it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives - Guy Fieri had once visited this place. In the evening we ate at Fat Patties where we got a great burger and then toured the downtown. We saw Marshall University, the school the movie We Are Marshall was about.

May 10


Frank and I left the hotel in Huntington and made the final stretch of Ohio River pulling into Cincinnati in the middle of the afternoon. We ate at Skyline Chili and then took a trolley to the ballpark. After waiting for about three hours, the game was called for rain. Of course, we will not get to go to a makeup game so I will trade in our tickets for another game and then see if I can get a few bucks for them on Stubhub. We were happy that we got to see the park and the city.

May 11


Frank and I left the hotel in Cincinnati and traveled for about 5 hours to Chicago. We stayed out near O'Hare airport.  We drove about 3 miles for dinner where I got my first Chicago style deep dish (stuffed) pizza. It was good but fortunately we have a frig in the room because I couldn't eat it all. We scheduled the shuttle to take us to the airport in the morning where we will be able to catch the L (train) to downtown.

May 12


I enjoyed today. We were shuttled over to the airport at 9 am where we caught a train into the city. Frank and I walked 8 miles, touring the city and the Navy Pier. I was very impressed with Chicago. We finished our tour of the Windy City with a river taxi ride up the river to a stop near the Sears (Willis) Tower. I got several good pictures from on top of this 110-story building.

May 13


We went to Wrigley Field today. The Pirates and the Cubs were playing an afternoon game. It was a beautiful day. I loved seeing the neighborhood of Wrigley and really liked seeing the park. It was perfect, reminding me of what baseball games were like when I was a kid. The people were very friendly, living up to the park's nickname: The Friendly Confines. Their fans are real baseball fans and they know the game. The Cubs continue to dominate the Bucs and won the game 9-4. When the game was over, all the fans stood and sing their victory song. I don't suppose I ever enjoyed a Pirates' loss as much as this one. I told Frank that I may not wait another 63 years before I visit Wrigley again

May 14


Frank and I pulled out of the hotel at 9 am (10 am ET) and drove home, about an 8-hour drive plus stops, arriving in Strattanville around 7 pm.  It was good to be home but I really liked all of our trip, especially the two days we spent in Chicago. I will consider going back to Chicago someday if I am able.